Total Pageviews

Translate

Thursday 13 May 2021

Web Page No 2784 First of all, the new book on growing up in Portsmouth “Gobstoppers and Blue Lollies” will be available from me next week. It has 75 pages and photographs plus illustrations by Peter Westcott. A real look at the past.
15th May 2021 GETTING OLD First picture: Prison gates
Second Picture: Two on a seat.
Third Picture: Weather Vane
Fourth Picture: Brush and comb set
GETTING OLD When one door closes and another door opens, in front of you, you are probably in prison. To me, "drink responsibly" means don't spill any of it. When I say, "The other day," I could be referring to any time between yesterday and 15 to 40 years ago. I remember being able to get up out of a chair without making sound effects. I had my patience tested. The result was that I'm negative. Remember, if you lose a sock in the tumble dryer, it comes back as a Tupperware lid that doesn't fit any of your containers. If you're sitting in public and a stranger takes the seat next to you, just stare straight ahead and say "Did you bring the money?" When you ask me what I am doing today, and I say "nothing," it does not mean I am free. It actually means I am doing nothing. They sat that the age 60 might now be the new 40, but to me 9:00pm is new midnight. I finally got eight hours of sleep. However, it took me three days, but whatever I got 8 hours . I run like the winded. I hate it when a couple argues in public, and I missed the beginning and don't know whose side I'm on. When someone asks what I did over the weekend, I just squint and ask, "Why, what did you hear?" I don't remember much from last night, but the fact that I needed sunglasses to open the fridge this morning tells me it must have been good, When you do squats, are your knees supposed to sound like a goat chewing on an aluminium can stuffed with celery. I don't mean to interrupt people. I just randomly remember things and get really excited. When I ask for directions, please don't use words like "east and west”’ It's the start of a brand new day, and I'm off like a herd of turtles. Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Spend 30 seconds in my head. That'll freak you right out. For most people that moment when you walk into a spider web suddenly turns you into an arm waving karate master. Sometimes, someone unexpected comes into your life out of nowhere, it makes your heart race, and changes you forever. We call those people police. The older I get, the earlier it gets late. My luck is like a bald guy who has just won a brush and comb set. STAY IN TOUCH ANIDA WRITES I really enjoyed your piece about the Theatre Royal, it holds memories for me as my Grandmother and Grandfather used to take me there on Saturday evenings, we used to get the bus to the Guildhall Square and when the performance had finished we used to go round to the Stage door, by the side of the Swan Tavern, to see if we could get an autograph or two. The shows were mainly variety and I can remember fan dancers and some probably risky comedians but as I was very young, about 8 or 9, it went over my head! My favourite was a chap on a unicycle! We used to sit in the Gods and I just loved the whole atmosphere. My great grandfather worked in the Dockyard but in the evenings he used to play the clarinet in the orchestra at the Theatre Royal, that would have been in the early 1900's as he died in 1911. We occasionally went to the Empire (I think it was) in Edinburgh Road, that was almost music hall. I have attached a picture of two carvings, these have been knocking around in the family for decades and came from the Swan Tavern when there was some refurbishment going on possibly back in the 1930's or 40's. My father acquired them, don't quite know how but he was an electrician, they are heavily carved and appear to be cupboard doors and are about to be hung in my garden and hopefully will survive for another number of years. In recent years they decorated the front of my Mum and Dad's house in Yealmpton. I was interested in your picture of the top of Cosham High Street before Spur Road was cut through. I didn't realise that the Red Lion started its days actually in the High Street. You remarked that Mr Boughton was the Manager and later owner of the Theatre Royal, he lived in a house just to the right of the Red Lion set back. It later became Ashleys wallpaper and paint shop and has probably disappeared now. You may be surprised to see that in your photograph it shows quite clearly the chimney pots which were on the shop which later became the Olde Sweet Shoppe, my second picture shows one of those very pots in my garden. I have carted it around from house to house after rescuing it when the shop was demolished in the 1970's.
ON THIS DAY 15TH MAY 1960 – 1965 On 15/05/1960 the number one single was Cathy's Clown - Everly Brothers and the number one album was South Pacific Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Wagon Train (ITV) and the box office smash was Psycho. A pound of today's money was worth £13.68 and Burnley were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. On 15/05/1961 the number one single was Blue Moon - The Marcels and the number one album was GI Blues - Elvis Presley. The top rated TV show was No Hiding Place (AR) and the box office smash was One Hundred and One Dalmations. A pound of today's money was worth £13.25 and Tottenham Hotspur were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. On 15/05/1962 the number one single was Wonderful Land - The Shadows and the number one album was Blue Hawaii - Elvis Presley. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was Lawrence of Arabia. A pound of today's money was worth £12.89 and Ipswich Town were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. The big news story of the day was Film star Emilio Estevez born On 15/05/1963 the number one single was From Me To You - The Beatles and the number one album was Please Please Me - The Beatles. The top rated TV show was Labour Party Political Broadcast (all channels) and the box office smash was The Great Escape. A pound of today's money was worth £12.64 and Everton were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. On 15/05/1964 the number one single was Don't Throw Your Love Away - Searchers and the number one album was Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones. The top rated TV show was Conservative Party Political Broadcast (all channels) and the box office smash was Dr Strangelove. A pound of today's money was worth £12.24 and Liverpool were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. On 15/05/1964 the number one single was Don't Throw Your Love Away - Searchers and the number one album was Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones. The top rated TV show was Conservative Party Political Broadcast (all channels) and the box office smash was Dr Strangelove. A pound of today's money was worth £12.24 and Liverpool were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. On 15/05/1965 the number one single was Ticket to Ride - The Beatles and the number one album was Beatles For Sale - The Beatles. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was The Sound of Music. A pound of today's money was worth £11.69 and Manchester United were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

No comments:

Post a Comment