Total Pageviews

Translate

Thursday 25 March 2021

Web Page No 2770 27th March 2021
1st Picture: An Ideal Life
2nd Picture: Prefab Kitchen
3rd Picture: The Family at home
4th Picture: 1950 magazine for mother
Words
Several weeks ago wrote a page on phrases and saying that were used at home and in everyday life during our childhood, it proved very popular and I have had a few more sent in so here is part 2:- There were the threatening phrases:- “Just You Wait And See” or “It’ll All End In Tears “ Then there was the over exaggeration “I’ve Told You A Thousand Times”, “You Brought This On Yourself” , “You are asking for it” (I was never ever actually aware of asking for it!), “Talking To You Is Like Talking To A Brick Wall” “You’ll Understand When You’re A Parent” or get older, “Over my dead body!” (What an odd phrase), “I’m not asking, I’m telling”: “Respect your elders and betters”.” I have told you SO many times,” And the advice words :- “Don’t Sit That Close To The TV, You’ll end up with Square Eyes “ another one to do with eyes, was “You’ll Take Someone’s Eye Out With That” plus “Carrots help you see in the dark!” “Money Doesn’t Grow On Trees You Know”, “Never chew with your mouth open”. “If all of your friends jumped off a bridge, would you join them?” “Oh, Jen's mum lets her do (such and such)? Then go live with Jen's mum is she will have you. I'll help you pack.” “Shut the door, were you born in a barn?” “Your room looks like a cyclone ran through it.”, “I will have no dumb insolence from you”. Take your coat off when you get inside or you won’t feel the benefit when you go outside”, "No swimming for 30 minutes after you eat" There was advice on life:- “I Want, Never Gets” “There Is No Such Word As Can’t”, “We’ll Cross That Bridge When We Come To It”, “Beggars can’t be choosers”, “If you can’t play nicely, you can’t play at all.” “There Are Children in Africa Who Are Starving They Would Eat That”, “Don’t stoop to their level”. “Well blow me down.” “This hurts me more than it hurts you”, The good old days:- “Back In My Day.” “When I was young I would never have done that” And the health thing:- “You’ll Live” Don't come running to me if you fall and break your leg. You can grow spuds in those ears ! At Home: Where’s my Woolie, Say Pardon not What, Who is she, the cats mother? I don’t care if your dying, you’re going to school. “These socks won’t pick up themselves.” “A little “birdy” told me!” Phrases you do not hear today:- “Put the big light on” “That’s the pot calling the kettle black.”, Always write thank you notes, even if you don’t like the gift. Now where did these phrases come from? Love a duck! I’ll go to the foot of our stairs And nobody, but nobody says Daddyo or Beatnik any more. However the most common one that most people agree on is this:- "We'll see" when ever I asked for permission to do something. Stay in touch Peter gsseditor@gmail.com You Write: Hello Peter, I think the last time I ventured into Dead Mans Wood was to find my golf ball! Have many happy memories of playing wide games up on the hill with the 70th. Dead Mans Wood was a favourite place for the Ventures to set up some kind of base for us to attack or liberate!! Some years ago I thought I would stick it in google to see what I could find and it told me that it was planted by a group called The Men of the Trees. From this I also discovered the http://www.portsdown-tunnels.org.uk/ website, which I sure you will have seen.
When we first arrived in Portsmouth back in 1970, Fort Purbrook was abandoned but still open. My father used to take me up there to explore. Amazing place and tunnels to take you down into the moat! A group of use from the scouts (The Haywards (there were three David, Jim and Bob) and Rik Brown) used to go down to the 6th hole to fish out golf balls from pond. It gave us enough for us to use when we played and occasionally we could sell some to the passing golfers. We used to get covered in rashes from insect bites. I suppose I hav'n't been inside Dead Mans Wood for 40 years or so Keep up the good work on your blog Best regards David News and Views:
On this day 27th March 1960 – 1965 On 27/03/1960 the number one single was Running Bear - Johnny Preston and the number one album was South Pacific Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Wagon Train (ITV) and the box office smash was Psycho. A pound of today's money was worth £13.68 and Burnley were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. On 27/03/1961 the number one single was Wooden Heart - Elvis Presley and the number one album was GI Blues - Elvis Presley. The top rated TV show was The Dickie Henderson Show (AR) and the box office smash was One Hundred and One Dalmations. A pound of today's money was worth £13.25 and Tottenham Hotspur were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. On 27/03/1962 the number one single was Wonderful Land - The Shadows and the number one album was Blue Hawaii - Elvis Presley. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was Lawrence of Arabia. A pound of today's money was worth £12.89 and Ipswich Town were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. On 27/03/1963 the number one single was Foot Tapper - The Shadows and the number one album was Summer Holiday - Cliff Richard & the Shadows. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was The Great Escape. A pound of today's money was worth £12.64 and Everton were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.On 27/03/1964 the number one single was Little Children - Billy J Kramer and the number one album was With the Beatles - The Beatles. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was Dr Strangelove. A pound of today's money was worth £12.24 and Liverpool were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. On 27/03/1965 the number one single was The Last Time - Rolling Stones and the number one album was Rolling Stones Number 2 - The Rolling Stones. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was The Sound of Music. A pound of today's money was worth £11.69 and Manchester United were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

No comments:

Post a Comment