Total Pageviews

Translate

Thursday 14 May 2020


Web Page No 2686

15th May 2020


1st Picture. Family Dinner Table
2nd Picture. Magazine about the 1950’s


3rd Picture. The Family Grocer


4th Picture. The Grove Family



Family Sayings

Parents, especially mothers, had a unique way of speaking to their children with unusual turns of phrase. Here are just a few:-

Don't look at me with those eyes. (whose eyes was I supposed to use?)
If you keep making that face, the wind will change and it will stay that way.
If you want to act like a child, I'll treat you like one. (naturally)
Quieten down, I can't even hear myself think.
One day you'll thank me. (I hope so)
Children are to be seen, not heard.
Don’t start. (start what?)
You don’t look well maybe you need some of those pink pills for pale people. (these were an actual product which were marketed by a Dr. Williams for those with a pale skin, they were supposed to put colour in your cheeks!)
There will be no pudding for you until you finish your dinner.
I must have told you a thousand times.
I will wash your mouth out with soap and water.
I want never gets.
Who’s she the cat’s mother?
If you eat your crusts you hair will go curly.

And the most used ones
Money does not grow on trees you know.
Because I said so, that's why!
Elbows off the table
I wasn’t born yesterday you know.
You are big enough and ugly enough.
I am not asking I am telling

Then there was:-

As long as you're under my roof, you live by my rules.

And

God gave you a brain, so use it.
Just you wait and see!
Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. (It was never stupid to us!)

Then there was the deliberate put down

What did your last slave die of.

If you fall out of that tree and break your legs don’t you come running to me
What do you mean you cannot come here are both your legs broken?
If all of your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?
Shut the door, were you born in a barn? (she should know)
Your room looks like a cyclone ran through it.
Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall.
Let's play the quiet game.

I have a bone in my leg

The voice of authority comes through in these:-
I'm not asking, I'm telling.
When you have kids, I hope they're just like you.
Don't you use that tone with me Mister/Missy.
Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about.
You better wipe that look off your face. (difficult)

And finally:- Wait till your father gets home!

Or the alternative :- Don’t tell your mother.

I am sure you can add many more to the list, every family seemed to have their own pet saying or phrases. What were yours?

Stay in touch

Peter

grseditor@gmail.com

You Write:

Biff Writes:-

Hi Peter,
It’s a long time since i have written to you and your page.
I have attached a section of film taken by my farther on VE day 1945.
It shows sailors dancing and the children’s party set in Woodfield ave, Farlington.
Though we were not alive one or two of your people may have older brothers or sisters or grandparents in the clip.
All the best
Biff (Chris Richards)





News and Views:

On this day 15 th  May 1960-1965
On 17/05/1960 the number one single was Cathys Clown by the Everly Brothers and the number one album was South Pacific Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Wagon Train (ITV) and the box office smash was Psycho. A pound of today's money was worth 13.68 and Burnley were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 15/05/1961 the number one single was Blue Moon - The Marcels and the number one album was GI Blues - Elvis Presley. The top rated TV show was Bootsie & Snudge (Granada) and the box office smash was One Hundred and One Dalmations. A pound of today's money was worth 13.25 and Tottenham Hotspur were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 15/05/1962 the number one single was Wonderful Land - The Shadows and the number one album was Blue Hawaii - Elvis Presley. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was Lawrence of Arabia. A pound of today's money was worth 12.89 and Ipswich Town were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 15/05/1963 the number one single was From Me To You - The Beatles and the number one album was Please Please Me - The Beatles. The top rated TV show was Liberal Party Political Broadcast (all channels) and the box office smash was The Great Escape. A pound of today's money was worth 12.64 and Everton were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 15/05/1964 the number one single was Don't Throw Your Love Away - Searchers and the number one album was Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones. The top rated TV show was Conservative Party Political Broadcast (all channels) and the box office smash was Dr Strangelove. A pound of today's money was worth 12.24 and Liverpool were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

 On 15/05/1965 the number one single was King of the Road - Roger Miller and the number one album was Beatles For Sale - The Beatles. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was The Sound of Music. A pound of today's money was worth 11.69 and Manchester United were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.




No comments:

Post a Comment