Total Pageviews

Translate

Thursday 4 July 2019


Web Page No 2594
29th June 2019

1st Picture. The Goons

 2nd Picture. Ford Prefect

 3rd Picture. Osmiroid Fountain Pen


4th Picture. 1950’s Radiogram

Grandpa Remembers

Thanks to Steve Timms for this:-

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events.
The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, stabbings in the streets, the computer age and just things in general.
The Grandfather replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before the introduction of:
' television
‘transistor radios
' polio shots
' frozen foods
' Xerox
' contact lenses
' Frisbees and
' the pill

There were no:
' credit cards
' laser beams or
' very few ball-point pens only fountain pens

Man had not invented :
' pantyhose
' air conditioners
' dishwashers
' clothes dryers
' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and
' space travel was only in Flash Gordon books.

Your Grandmother and I got married first,.. and then we lived together..
Every family had a father and a mother.
We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, Facebook and Twitter, dual careers, day care centres, and group therapy.
Our lives were governed by good judgment, and a lot of common sense. We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and live by it and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was an even bigger privilege... We thought fast food was eating half a biscuit while running to catch the school bus.
Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins and other relations.
Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not going out and purchasing holiday homes
We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings and only sailors had tatoos.
We listened to Big Bands, the Goon Show, two or three way Family Favourites and the Pick of the Pops on our radios
If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was automatically regarded as cheap and nasty.
The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam....
Pizza Hut, McDonald's, Costa , Kentucky Fried Chicken and instant coffee were unheard of.
You could buy a brand new Ford Prefect for £310 ... but who could afford one?
In my day:
' "grass" was mowed,
' "coke" was a cold drink,
' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and
' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
' "Aids" were helpers,
' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and
' "software" wasn't even a word.
And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby.
No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap.
How old do you think I am?
I bet you have this old man in mind....you are in for a shock!
Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time .
 Are you ready ?????
This Man Would Be Only 70 Years Old Today.
GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT...
 
Peter
Stay in touch

You Write:

Maureen Writes:


One thing I would like to add to the list is going to bed in daylight on a hot summer evening and listening to manual lawn mowers and snipping shears as my parents and the neighbours tended their lawns. There was something musical about manual lawn mowers and the perfume of newly cut grass. Now all you get is, on Sunday mornings a succession of electric mowers and strimmer’s blasting an unmelodic cacophony of constant noise and if you are unlucky to live in an highly populated area, it can continue all day.

The attached list shows that a lot on your list is still alive and kicking especially in the backwoods of Cornwall.


There are a lot of things we do not do anymore, mainly because they do not exist and we have progressed.  We do not grind our own flour, gather berries and nuts or hunt meat, some people still do, but on the whole we pop into the supermarket.  I am sure Mr & Mrs Neanderthal would love to pop into a supermarket, then they could spend their day punching numbers on a computer, working in a warehouse, directing traffic or nursing the sick.

Life doesn't stop it changes, take No 13 from your list - Carrying plenty of change for pay phone - I personally carry plenty of change for car parking whilst on a day out.

No 8. Classified Ad or card in the shop window - have you not looked at the boards in the local supermarket, they are full of classified ads. It is not a window but it is still out there.

No 16. I know I am different but only the other day I looked through my father's address book (he died in 1981) checking which family member  had lived in  Reckleford whilst researching family tree stuff.  My own address book is used all the time as it is quicker and easier that trying to access the information on my computer.

No 17 I still carry a Road map book in my car and when planning a journey always refer to it as the quickest method of getting from A to B. I confess I am an avid Google Walker so before any holiday I check out my location and walk routes that I may use whilst away.  A couple of years ago I walked the length and breadth of New Zealand on Google Maps following the trail of my daughter and husband who were visiting NZ and Australia for 3 months.  That is progress, 27 years ago I followed her around Australia by map alone.

No21. Encyclopaedia, why wouldn't you have an encyclopaedia, the older the better as things change so rapidly and sometimes I need to know the old names of things. I read Roman and Greek Mythology  to my oldest daughter from the  encyclopaedias when she was a baby because I never learnt anything like that at school and needed to know, some of it may psychologically gone into her brain.  I also still refer to my father's atlas which he carried with him just after the war and documented all the tours of duty during his naval career.  The boundaries of Africa and Europe have changed so much in my lifetime.

No 25.  Use a dictionary, mine is always beside me in the study and in fact was used twice this morning alone.

No32.  Buying CD's and collections.  I have a CD storage bureaux on the upstairs landing with everything in there from Military Bands, Big Bands of the 40's,Classical and Pop from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.  I also carry a case full in the car and they are rotated on a regular basis.  My eldest has also recently loaned me a collection of Jazz CD's.

No 34 Making Photo Albums - well I will hold my hand up to that - Over the last 14 years, I have had 38 International holidays and in latter years I have kept a diaries of places visited, things I have done and seen and even to the foods I have eaten.  These are now being put onto the computer and photo's inserted from the files; but I also have proper photographs that were taken at the time and they are being inserted into the printed sheets.  I am making hard copies of these files so when I am old and gaga I can look at the books and it might strike a chord.  It has been great reliving these holidays this year whilst typing them up and I have been able to add after thoughts and renewed memories.  In the last couple of days I have been typing up our school trip to Paris in 1961.  It was my very first venture abroad and I learnt a great deal from that holiday that has held me in good stead for all the holidays that followed. I have copied some photo's from the Blog pages.

No 35  I have never been a techy, so yes I watch programmes as they are shown, I know no other way and to be honest most of the programmes are rubbish so the TV is on and I am busy crafting, writing or crocheting.  If I don't get a free Licence at 75 the BBC will probably get a flea in their ear and I will put the TV out to pasture. At the moment it is company so I get a budgie instead.

No 36  I still dial 1471 especially if someone calls and hangs up before the answer machine kicks in.

No 39 Yes, I know I am boring, but yes I hand wash clothes and maybe that is why I am still wearing clothes that is over 20 years old. A quick dunk in warm soapy water is all it needs not 45 minutes churning round in a metal drum and then being spun to death and baked in a tumbler.

No 41 May a bit old for Love letters and no one to send them too but I use to send poetry to my last amour.  OK that was 25 years ago but if I had had a fellow, do you think I would have had all of those international holidays?

No 42  Not quite hand written essay nowadays but I have note books by the side of chair and bed side and when the fancy takes me I sit a write about my life things that interests me or things that irritate me.  Probably no one will ever read them but it passes the time and makes me feel better, just like have a conversation with someone.

No 44 You really shouldn't rely on a computer to spell for you it can go horribly wrong.  This is what dictionaries are for.

No 45  It isn't quite a diary, more of a calendar, I write things down to remind me what I have planned for each day and the pages are held on the refrigerator by magnets. My Diary is to carry for booking appointments, so that when  some says can you do something on this or that day, I can say no I am cat sitting for Elaine, or Crafting with the Gaolbirds or flying to Newcastle.  It is not written on a phone or computer or it buzzes when you really don't want it to.  Told you I am not a techy.

No 46.  Yes we send postcards.  If I go out for the day with one daughter, we always send a postcard to the other to say we miss you, wish you were here etc. This has become a feature of days out from my Mother, if she went off for the day she sent a postcard especially if she went to Weymouth.  I have a collection of postcards showing the clock on Weymouth beach (bit of a family thing) So when the girls and I went, maybe, shopping in Plymouth for the day we would send Mum a postcard.  If the girls met up for the day they would send me a card and so it went on and still does.

No 48 Hang out washing in winter. Well living in Cornwall our winters tend to be better than our summers so it is normal to hang washing out providing it is well pegged. Cornwall is notorious for high winds. One miss pegged tea towel could end up in Plymouth before you had time to rescue it.

No 50  Cornwall lives and thrives on Car Boot sales.  Do remember we are some 50 years behind them up country.  We still get the odd Jumble sale down here.

No 66  I loved  the I Spy books, and they are available on Ebay for not a lot.


No 72 I can definitely rule out this one.  When I go to dinner with my eldest daughter we always play Mathable before and after dinner (It's like Scrabble but with numbers).  If it is a long evening we also play Kaluki with 2 packs of cards. When I am staying with the younger daughter we always play Kaluki before and after dinner and just recently she has been able to buy a Mathable board so we will be playing that next time I go without a doubt.  When I go on holiday with either daughter or both we always pack 2 sets of cards to play Kaluki and if we can find a 4th player we will play Euchre, but not a lot of Euchre players around these days.


News and Views:


On this day 29th June 1960-1965

On 29/06/1960 the number one single was Three Steps to Heaven - Eddie Cochran and the number one album was South Pacific Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was No Hiding Place (AR) and the box office smash was Psycho. A pound of today's money was worth £13.68 and Burnley were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. The big news story of the day was Ghana and Somalia to become republics.

On 29/061961 the number one single was Runaway - Del Shannon and the number one album was South Pacific Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Harpers West One (ATV) and the box office smash was One Hundred and One Dalmations. A pound of today's money was worth £13.25 and Tottenham Hotspur were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.
On 29/06/1962 the number one single was Come Outside - Mike Sarne with Wendy Richard and the number one album was West Side Story Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was Lawrence of Arabia. A pound of today's money was worth £12.89 and Ipswich Town were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 29/06/1963 the number one single was I Like It - Gerry & the Pacemakers and the number one album was Please Please Me - The Beatles. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was The Great Escape. A pound of today's money was worth £12.64 and Everton were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. The big news story of the day was Zip codes introduced in US

On 29/06/1964 the number one single was It's Over - Roy Orbison and the number one album was Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones. The top rated TV show was Club Night (BBC) and the box office smash was Dr Strangelove. A pound of today's money was worth £12.24 and Liverpool were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 29/06/1965 the number one single was I'm Alive - Hollies and the number one album was The Sound of Music Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was The Sound of Music. A pound of today's money was worth £11.69 and Manchester United were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.








No comments:

Post a Comment