Total Pageviews

Translate

Wednesday 26 August 2009

Web Page No 764 29th August 2009

First Picture: A PACK OF INDOOR FIREWORKS FROM THE 1950’S.











Second Picture: BOYS TOYS FROM THE 1950’S & 1960's










COME TO A PARTY

How often did we hear these words as kids? And the heartache if all of your friends were invited to some child’s birthday party and you weren’t. Conversely in one case for me being invited to a party and being the only boy there. This was when I was 6 and the girl in question who invited me was my first girlfriend, Pauline House, and it was not until I arrived at her house in Station Road that I realised that I was going to be the only lad there. Very embarrassing!!!

But parties then were so different to the ones of today. We went, took along a present, played a few games, ate a birthday tea and went home. We never left with full Goodie Bags to take home and little going home gifts; no we just said ‘Goodbye and thank you for having me’ and walked home with a parent for supper.

I really do have a very clear memory of Pauline’s 6th birthday party. On the tea table was the usual fare of sandwiches, jelly in the shape of a rabbit, blancmange, chocolate teacakes and tinned fruit and later on, of course, a birthday cake. But the highlight of the tea for me was an imposing ice cream cake, I had never seen one before and this marvel was in the shape of a crinoline lady whose body came off and was a toy doll and the skirt was made up of layers of ice cream and cake, delicious! I suppose I must have settled down and enjoyed the tea and the games afterwards I do not really remember much, I tend to think that one of the games was Postman’s Knock with me being the postman, such was life then. Other games of the period Pass the Parcel, Statues, Musical Chairs and Musical Bumps I am sure would all have featured during the festivities.

But the big thing that I do remember was that just before going home we were treated to and indoor firework display. This was again something I had never seen before but I do remember that they were a real eye opener to a 6 year old but they gave off an acrid and rather cloying smell. Mother came and collected me, I said my thanks and we walked home after a very educational party. If you read this Pauline are was my memories correct? Or can’t you remember?

Party clothes were different too. The little girls were always dressed pretty fluffy party dresses with special shoes to match and sparklingly white ankle socks. Whereas us lads were turned out in our best short trousers, clean tidy shirt and our best Start Rite shoes or sandals, knee length grey socks held up with elastic garters that mother had made. We never had jeans and trainers, smart clothes were what you wore when you went out!

These types of parties lasted right through our Junior School days and on into the first year or so in Senior School, for us Court Lane. It was in about the second year that you suddenly started to feel that these types of parties were far too babyish for you now. This is where the era that most parents had dreaded came to fruition. The teenage party.

This was a completely different animal, who should you ask, would she come and who would she bring, who else should you invite, what drinks would my parents allow in the house and most important of all would your parents go out for the evening? Well I can answer all those questions, most times the guests did come including the young lady I wanted to be with, and no my parents would not go out and they were very mean on the drink scene, beer was out but cider and soft drinks were in and as they stayed sat in the dining room every time which, if any of you ever came to a party at my place, you will remember rather inhibited things! Luckily the answer was very simple my friend had parents with a caravan and they went away most weekends and during the school holidays leaving the house in charge of their 16 year old son. So the answer was simple all parties were then transferred from my house to his, no parents, no rules, no curfew, just and evening of enjoyment. I can remember those evenings now, but on that note I think I had better close.

Wonderful memories



Take Care

Peter

DUSTYKEAT@aol.com
Pj.keat@ntlworld.com



YOU WRITE:
Melv writes:-

Oh To Be 12 Again...


A man was sitting on the edge of the bed, observing his wife, looking at herself in the mirror. Since her birthday was not far off he asked what she'd like to have for her Birthday. 'I'd like to be twelve again', she replied, still looking in the mirror.


On the morning of her Birthday, he arose early, made her a nice big bowl of Coco Pops, and then took her to Alton Towers theme park. What a day!

He put her on every ride in the park; the Death Slide, the Corkscrew, the Wall of Fear, the Screaming Monster Roller Coaster, everything there was. Five hours later they staggered out of the theme park. Her head was reeling and her stomach felt upside down. He then took her to a Mc Donald's where he ordered her a Happy Meal with extra fries and a chocolate shake.Then it was off to the cinema with popcorn, a huge Cola, and her favourite sweets........... M&M's.

What a fabulous adventure!

Finally she wobbled home with her husband and collapsed into bed exhausted.
He leaned over his wife with a big smile and lovingly asked, 'Well Dear, what was it like being twelve again?' Her eyes slowly opened and her expression suddenly changed. 'I meant my dress size, you retard!!!!'

The moral of the story: Even when a man is listening, he is gonna get it wrong.



ON THIS DAY 29TH AUGUST 1960-1965

On 29/08/1960 the number one single was Apache - The Shadows and the number one album was South Pacific Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was No Hiding Place (AR) and the box office smash was Psycho. A pound of today's money was worth £13.68 and Tottenham Hotspur were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 29/08/1961 the number one single was You Don't Know - Helen Shapiro and the number one album was South Pacific Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Blackpool Tower Circus (ATV) and the box office smash was One Hundred and One Dalmations. A pound of today's money was worth £13.25 and Ipswich were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. The big news story of the day was Actress Rebecca De Mornay born.

On 29/08/1962 the number one single was I Remember You - Frank Ifield and the number one album was Pot Luck - Elvis Presley. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was Lawrence of Arabia. A pound of today's money was worth £12.89 and Everton were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 29/08/1963 the number one single was Bad to Me - Billy J Kramer and the number one album was Please Please Me - The Beatles. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was The Great Escape. A pound of today's money was worth £12.64 and Liverpool were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 29/08/1964 the number one single was Have I the Right? - Honeycombs and the number one album was A Hard Day's Night - Beatles. The top rated TV show was Labour Party Political Broadcast (all channels) and the box office smash was Dr Strangelove. A pound of today's money was worth £12.24 and Manchester United were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 29/08/1965 the number one single was I Got You Babe - Sonny and Cher and the number one album was Help - The Beatles. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was The Sound of Music. A pound of today's money was worth £11.69 and Liverpool were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

No comments:

Post a Comment