Total Pageviews

Translate

Thursday 31 May 2018


Web Page No 2480

2nd June 2018



First Picture: Balance Scale

 Second Picture: Real Cash Register





Third Picture: New Zealand Butter


Something else that has been forwarded to me

We all identify with this?

Pounds and Ounces

I think I will bake a cake today,
We can have some for tea,
Coffee, walnut, lemon drizzle
Or plain jam sponge maybe

But when I read the recipe
I guess I shouldn't say
I still use pounds and ounces
Like Mum did in her day

I’ve never come to terms
With kilograms and litres
                                      My mind still works in feet and yards and yards.       I never think in metres.

When I was a little girl
We learned each day in school
That 16 ounces weighed one pound.
We knew that was the rule.

And we were taught in inches.
It wasn't very hard.
That 12 of those made up one foot
And three of those a yard.

Twelve pennies made one shilling.
A tanner' was just six pence
A half a crown was two-and-six.
 To us it all made sense.

Baking cakes and cooking
Has always been a pleasure-
But now It's sometimes difficult
To deal with metric measure.

I see a pack of butter.
That's half a pound to me
But writing on the packet says
two hundred and fifty g.

And when I see two pints of milk
My mind is in a fix.
For litres on the carton state:
One -point one, three, six,

I still use fluid ounces
 When I measure milk or juice.
The use of milliliters, well,
To meiIs not much use.

And as for those kilometres
They're really not my style.
If I see something nasty
 I would surely 'run a mile'.

Some people say I'm more mature
I’m certainly not thick
But all those things I learnt at school
They seemed somehow to stick
Still wait till we're
through Brexit
And Theresa May announces
'We've now come out of the EU
It's back to pounds and ounces.'

Written by a lady on Hayling Island but I think we can all sympathize with her, I know I still think in feet and inches, pints and gallons and pounds and ounces!!!

 Keep in touch

Yours

Peter

gsseditor@gmail.com

You Write:


News and Views:




On this day 2nd June 1960-1965.



On 02/06/1960 the number one single was Cathy's Clown - Everly Brothers and the number one album was South Pacific Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Wagon Train (ITV) and the box office smash was Psycho. A pound of today's money was worth £13.68 and Burnley were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 02/06/1961 the number one single was Surrender - Elvis Presley and the number one album was GI Blues - Elvis Presley. The top rated TV show was No Hiding Place (AR) and the box office smash was One Hundred and One Dalmations. A pound of today's money was worth £13.25 and Tottenham Hotspur were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 02/06/1962 the number one single was Good Luck Charm - Elvis Presley and the number one album was Blue Hawaii - Elvis Presley. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was Lawrence of Arabia. A pound of today's money was worth £12.89 and Ipswich Town were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 02/06/1963 the number one single was From Me To You - The Beatles and the number one album was Please Please Me - The Beatles. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was The Great Escape. A pound of today's money was worth £12.64 and Everton were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 02/06/1963 the number one single was From Me To You - The Beatles and the number one album was Please Please Me - The Beatles. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was The Great Escape. A pound of today's money was worth £12.64 and Everton were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 04/06/1965 the number one single was Long Live Love - Sandie Shaw and the number one album was Bringing It All Back Home - Bob Dylan. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was The Sound of Music. A pound of today's money was worth £11.69 and Manchester United were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.








No comments:

Post a Comment