Total Pageviews

Translate

Tuesday 4 August 2009

Web Page 758





First Picture League of Ovaltineys Poster





SECOND PICTURE: Hilsea Lido 1965





A LANGUAGE OF ITS OWN


Do You Remember the 60s Slang?

The 1960s era had a language all of its own. Some of these words and phrases are still used by our kids and grandchildren today . Do you remember some of these 60s slang? Nd can you add to them?
1. A Gas - Having a lot of fun.
2. Ape: Used with verbs gone or went. (i.e. "When I came home an hour late my parents went ape.)
3. Blast - Had a great time like "I had a blast at the dance."
4. Bread - Money
5. Burn Rubber - Squeal out with your tires spinning and leaving rubber on the asphalt.
6. Chick - girl or woman
7. Cool - Nice
8. D.A. - Guy hair style. Combed like a duck's ass.
9. Decked Out - All Dressed Up
10. Dig - Do you understand?
11. Don't Flip Your Wig - In other words don't go ape.
12. Don't Sweat - Don't let it bother you.
13. Fab - Fantastic
14. Flower Child - A Hippie
15. Fuzz - The Police
16. Going Steady - Dating only one person
17. Groovy - Nice or neat
18. Hang Loose - Take it easy
19. Hip - Very Cool
20. Shades - Sunglasses
21. Split - leave the scene or area
22. Solid - I got it or I'm with you
23. Square - Somebody not cool
24. Threads - clothes


QUOTES OF THE 60’S GENERATION


Words and expressions used during the 60s mean so much more now as we look back, here are some of the well known ones.
We stand today on the edge of a new frontier -- the frontier of the 1960s, a frontier of unknown opportunities and perils, a frontier of unfulfilled hopes and threats. The new frontier of which I speak is not a set of promises -- it is a set of challenges. John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
We were all on this ship in the sixties, our generation, a ship going to discover the New World. And the Beatles were in the crow's nest of that ship.
And
The thing the sixties did was to show us the possibilities and the responsibility that we all had. It wasn't the answer. It just gave us a glimpse of the possibility. John Lennon (1940-1980)
"I don't think Jimi committed suicide in the conventional way. He just decided to exit when he wanted to."
-- Eric Burdon

"Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law." Hubert Humphrey
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Muhammad Ali
What do I wear in bed? Why, Chanel No.5, of course. Marilyn Monroe
I'm not kidding myself. My voice alone is just an ordinary voice. What people come to see is how I use it. If I stand still while I'm singing, I'm dead, man. I might as well go back to driving a truck.
And
Some people tap their feet, some people snap their fingers, and some people sway back and forth. I just sorta do 'em all together, I guess. Elvis Presley
I believe the key to happiness is: someone to love, something to do, and something to look forward to. Elvis Presley
I ain't no saint, but I've tried never to do anything that would hurt my family or offend God. I figure all any kid needs is hope and the feeling he or she belongs. If I could do or say anything that would give some kid that feeling, I would believe I had contributed something to the world. Elvis Presley
Hippies are so phoney and fake. George Harrison
The hippies wanted peace and love. We wanted Ferraris, blondes and switchblades. Alice Cooper
"In the future everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes." Andy Warhol
"We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out." - Decca executive, 1962, after turning down the Beatles.
"And for the tourist who really wants to get away from it all, safaris in Vietnam." - Newsweek magazine, predicting popular holidays for the late 1960s.
The message may not move me, or mean a great deal to me,
But hey! it feels so groovy to say...-- Peter, Paul & Mary, "I Did Rock & Roll Music" (1967)
" We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools. Martin Luther King Speech in St. Louis March 22, 1964
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King
The more bombers, the less room for doves of peace. Nikita Khrushchev
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~Jimi Hendrix,
You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom. ~Malcolm X~
Love is the only force capable of turning an enemy into a friend. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.~
I would say that I'm a nonviolent soldier. In place of weapons of violence, you have to use your mind, your heart, your sense of humour, every faculty available to you...because no one has the right to take the life of another human being. ~Joan Baez~
Take Care

Peter

DUSTYKEAT@aol.com
Pj.keat@ntlworld.com

YOU WRITE:
My, My Molly Butler certainly stirred up a few memories, see below:-

GRIFF WRITES:

Molly Butler went on to Paulsgrove Secondary Modern School for Girls circa. 1970 and eventually became Head Teacher of that School.

Molly Butler ( sorry... Mrs Butler! ) was my 1st year form teacher at the East Cosham Annexe to Court lane after leaving Solent Rd.Juniors. I was only in her class for 6 months (1a2) until Christmas before going up to 1a1 with Mr Greer in the main Court Lane School building. I think nepotism must have ruled because Molly knew I had an older Sister in 4a1 (Miss Blitz) ..lol

Molly Butler did have an uncanny knack of remembering us all because I did bump into her once in Cosham High St. and she knew exactly who I was and I must have been about 19 then.

FRAN WRITES:

I have a memory of Molly Butler. One history lesson she asked the whole class to write on a slip of paper what we thought of her class and her as a teacher. It was to be unsigned and no recriminations! I remember trying to disguise my writing and a male student decided to write truthfully and none to kindly. The following week we all copped it, and was she mad and if my memory serves me correctly she said she had this particular truthful opinion examined by a hand writing expert and the writer was exposed !!!. I can remember thinking what a great injustice and what little respect I had, completely gone. I think I was in first or second form so not very old.

Keith asks:-

Talking of school and my lousy memory, which we weren't, can anyone recall going back to Court Lane for any lessons once we had moved to Manor Court. I took RSA Technical Drawing in 1961, that must be a year or more after we moved. I can't remember going back to George Pledger for lessons during that year and we didn't do Tech Drawing at Manor Court did we?


NEWS AND VIEWS:
The creator of Captain Pugwash, John Ryan, dies aged 88.y
The cartoonist and animator invented the hapless pirate in 1950 and the character first appeared as a strip in the comic The Eagle. He went on to be the star of two animated television series which Mr Ryan produced using a live animation technique, moving the characters and sets by hidden levers. His other characters included Harris Tweed, Special Agent, Sir Prancelot and Mary Mungo & Midge.
John Ryan used his talent for caricatures to supplement his teaching income and created his famous pirate and his ship The Black Pig. Captain Pugwash strips were published in several magazines and the first Pugwash book came out in 1957. In that year Mr Ryan was commissioned by the BBC to create the first animated series. The characters and sets for each scene of the five-minute episodes were created using cardboard cut outs and filmed moving in real time, with Mr Ryan and his wife Priscilla pulling the levers. The voice-over by the actor Peter Hawkins was recorded at the same time as the animation. The series was revived in 1974 for a colour edition, still keeping its distinctive look. Other programmes by John Ryan Studios filmed using the same animation technique were Mary Mungo & Midge (1969) and The Adventures of Sir Prancelot (1971-72) and he also made Ark Stories for ITV in 1981. He drew for numerous newspapers and magazines and in later years toured the country’s schools, libraries and book fairs giving talks about his artwork.

ON THIS DAY 1ST AUGUST 1960-1965

On 08/08/1960 the number one single was Shakin' All Over - Johnny Kidd & the Pirates and the number one album was South Pacific Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Rawhide (ITV) and the box office smash was Psycho. A pound of today's money was worth £13.68 and Tottenham Hotspur were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 08/08/1961 the number one single was Well I Ask You - Eden Kane and the number one album was Black & White Minstrel Show - George Mitchell Minstrels. The top rated TV show was Top Secret (AR) and the box office smash was One Hundred and One Dalmations. A pound of today's money was worth £13.25 and Ipswich were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 08/08/1962 the number one single was I Remember You - Frank Ifield and the number one album was West Side Story Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was Lawrence of Arabia. A pound of today's money was worth £12.89 and Everton were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 08/08/1963 the number one single was Sweets For My Sweet - Searchers and the number one album was Please Please Me - The Beatles. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was The Great Escape. A pound of today's money was worth £12.64 and Liverpool were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. The big news story of the day was Derby doping riddle.

On 08/08/1964 the number one single was A Hard Day's Night - Beatles and the number one album was A Hard Day's Night - Beatles. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was Dr Strangelove. A pound of today's money was worth £12.24 and Manchester United were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 08/08/1965 the number one single was Help - The Beatles and the number one album was The Sound of Music Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Riviera Police (AR) and the box office smash was The Sound of Music. A pound of today's money was worth £11.69 and Liverpool were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

No comments:

Post a Comment