Total Pageviews

Translate

Wednesday 9 July 2014

Web Page 2068

6th July 2014


Top Picture; Kontiki Bar

 Second Picture: Sinah Warren Hotel



Third Picture: Hayling sand dunes

A Night Out

Growing up in the 1960’s meant that we travelled from childhood into adulthood and one of the advantages of getting older was that we became drivers after passing our Driving Tests and transport became available, even though it might just have been borrowing fathers car at first before the cash flow was good enough to buy your own car.

Once on the road all sorts of venues for an evening out became available, The Royal Oak at Hooks Way, The L shaped Room in The Bull in Chichester and the Hole in the Wall Club also in Chichester and the Concorde Club in Southampton. But to go a little upmarket it meant a trip off the mainland and onto Hayling Island.

The venue on Hayling was the Kontiki Bar which was within the Sinah Warren hotel complex. As can be seen from the picture the whole place was done out as a traditional Polynesian hut with a long bar all along one side and booths for the drinkers ranged opposite. At one end was a small stage and the evenings that I went were the evenings when there was a jazz band appearing.

This was a prestige venue and was guaranteed to impress any girl that you took there although I must admit that one of my companions, when asked what she wanted to drink, surprised me by asking for a Bat’s Blood. At that time I was drinking Black Velvet’s but Bats Blood was a new one on me. I made my way to the bar and asked for my drink and then for hers. The barman said ‘a what?’ so I repeated the order. ‘Never heard of it mate.’ he said, what is it?’ Well, there I was completely stumped so I had to go back to the booth we were sitting in and ask her what the drink consisted of and was told cider and blackcurrant, on returning to the bar and telling the barman he responded ‘well, that’s a new one on me!’

As far as I remember my relationship with this young lady did not last long and I am ashamed to say that I have forgotten the young ladies last name, although I do remember her first name was Susan, but the story really sticks in my mind and as I will relate it followed me around for quite some time.

Whilst I was at college I worked as a part time waiter on many occasions at Sinah Warren and was consequently entitled to staff discount at the bar, which was very helpful during an evening out when I had a limited budget. But of course it had to happen, the barman one evening recognised me and said’ hey weren’t you the bloke who wanted a Bats Blood?’ The word soon got round the permanent staff that this was the bloke who asked for a strange drink.

It then progressed from there; firstly while working I became known as Bats Blood for a short time, this was then shortened to BB and then some bright spark realised that there was a famous sexy French actress with these initials and so for the rest of my time working at Sinah I was known as ‘Bridget’.  As I normally worked on a Saturday evenings I was soon known as Bridget at weekends. I am only very grateful that none of my mates in the Drayton area at the time learnt of my unfortunate nickname. Please keep this quiet as I have not mentioned this for years!

On leaving the Kontiki to be alone the usual thing was to go and park in the sand dunes but even that pleasure is denied to todays youth as all the sand dune have been flattened and taken away. Health and safety I suppose. These Coucils have no romance in their souls these days!!!!! 
 
 Stay in touch

Peter
DUSTYKEAT@aol.com

You Write:

News and Views:

On this Day 6th July 1960-1965

On 08/07/1960 the number one single was Good Timin' - Jimmy Jones and the number one album was South Pacific Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Rawhide (ITV) and the box office smash was Psycho. A pound of today's money was worth £13.68 and Burnley were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.
Top of Form
On 06/07/1961 the number one single was Runaway - Del Shannon and the number one album was South Pacific Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Harpers West One (ATV) and the box office smash was One Hundred and One Dalmations. A pound of today's money was worth £13.25 and Tottenham Hotspur were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. The big news story of the day was Mario Dubois born.

On 06/07/1962 the number one single was Come Outside - Mike Sarne with Wendy Richard and the number one album was West Side Story Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was Lawrence of Arabia. A pound of today's money was worth £12.89 and Ipswich Town were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions. The big news story of the day was 94 die in Bombay air crash.

On 06/07/1963 the number one single was I Like It - Gerry & the Pacemakers and the number one album was Please Please Me - The Beatles. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was The Great Escape. A pound of today's money was worth £12.64 and Everton were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 06/07/1965 the number one single was I'm Alive - Hollies and the number one album was The Sound of Music Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was The Sound of Music. A pound of today's money was worth £11.69 and Manchester United were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions





No comments:

Post a Comment