Total Pageviews

Translate

Thursday 25 April 2013


Web Page 1142
28th April 2013

Top Picture: The Old School Badge



Bottom Picture: Griffs’  Schools swimming certificate


The Last Day.

It is a very strange thing but I really cannot remember my last day at school. You would have thought that such a momentous or significant occasion would have been burned deep into my memory. But no! As far as I remember there was no farewell chat from Reg Davis, the headmaster, no talk about embarking on the threshold of a new life and best wishes for the future, as far as I can remember after my last examinations in the 6th year I went into school for a final clearing up session and then walked out and never went back.

In my last six months I was only studying three subjects and so did not have many lessons until after I had taken the exams and I do have some recollection of going around the school returning books and equipment to various teachers. But no farewell party, assembly, get together or dance (no School Proms in those days even though I could dance!), not even a pat on the back.

Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I seem to remember that I had my school tie signed by all and sundry but even that has gone walkabout over the years. When I was involved in arranging the School Reunion Geraldine sent me a copy of her autograph book and the names in there certainly brought back some memories. I even found my own signature in it, I lost my autograph book years ago but I know it was not full of school names.

After six years at senior school I still think it remarkable that the very last day is so shrouded in mystery.

What last day memories do you have? Would you care to share them with us? Leaving main school, infants or juniors all memories are welcome so come on put pen to paper so we can all share them.   

The First Day

Strangely I can remember my first day at infant school and at Court Lane Senior School. Keith Conlon shared my first day at infant school; we lived fairly close to one another and our mothers knew each other and they must have decided to take their children to school on their first day together. To encourage us to go our mothers let us ride our tricycles to school and I know Keith also remembers this. It must have been an unusual spectacle seeing out mothers towing two tricycles back and forth to school each day.

Being allowed to travel in the bus on my own for the first time marked my first day at Court Lane. I read recently that when we were at school between 60 and 70% of pupils made their way to school unaccompanied using the bus, bike or on foot. Today the figure is totally reversed; a recent survey states that in 2012 less than 1% of today’s pupils make their way to school alone. I really agree with the educationalist, Gervase Phinn, when he says that this is a great shame as walking to school together is a vitally important part of growing up and learning to interact with other people.

But back to my first day at Court Lane, I was packed of in my shiny new uniform, complete with short trousers and school cap and carrying my new school case. As I said before I travelled to school by bus but this was only three stops and I joined the other new comers on the bottom deck of the bus and soon learnt how to get away without paying a fare! On that first day I walked down Court Lane with some older boys who I knew from Scouts and felt very grown up as they were discussing girls! And it is here that my memories end, I wonder why? We must have been shepherded into the hall and sorted out into classes but none of this comes to mind.

Now before any of your start to say, ‘It must be his age, he’s loosing his memory’
 I will say here and now that I have never been able to remember these things, maybe I have always been old before my time!

Stay in Touch

Peter


You Write:


News and Views:

On this day 28th April 1960-1965
On 28/04/1960 the number one single was My Old Man's a Dustman - Lonnie Donegan and the number one album was South Pacific Soundtrack. The top rated TV show was Wagon Train (ITV) and the box office smash was Psycho. A pound of today's money was worth £13.68 and Burnley were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

28/04/1961 the number one single was Wooden Heart - Elvis Presley and the number one album was GI Blues - Elvis Presley. The top rated TV show was Bootsie & Snudge (Granada) and the box office smash was One Hundred and One Dalmations. A pound of today's money was worth £13.25 and Tottenham Hotspur were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 28/04/1962 the number one single was Wonderful Land - The Shadows and the number one album was Blue Hawaii - Elvis Presley. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was Lawrence of Arabia. A pound of today's money was worth £12.89 and Ipswich Town were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 28/04/1963 the number one single was How Do You Do It? - Gerry & the Pacemakers and the number one album was Summer Holiday - Cliff Richard & the Shadows. The top rated TV show was Labour Party Political Broadcast (all channels) and the box office smash was The Great Escape. A pound of today's money was worth £12.64 and Everton were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

On 28/04/1964 the number one single was A World Without Love - Peter & Gordon and the number one album was With the Beatles - The Beatles. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was Dr Strangelove. A pound of today's money was worth £12.24 and Liverpool were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.

28/04/1965 the number one single was Ticket to Ride - The Beatles and the number one album was Rolling Stones Number 2 - The Rolling Stones. The top rated TV show was Coronation Street (Granada) and the box office smash was The Sound of Music. A pound of today's money was worth £11.69 and Manchester United were on the way to becoming the Season's Division 1 champions.






























No comments:

Post a Comment